Critical Reflection

1. Module learning:

Before the start of this module, I thought this module is just about how to communicate, which is a waste of time. However, my perspective of this module is totally different now. Communication is not just about talking. It is a skill set that is crucial in society.

The goals I set at the start of the course was to improve on my presentation skills, language use in both written & spoken. Back in Polytechnic, in every presentation, I would always present with a mixture of English and Singlish, nobody sees that as a problem and no one corrected me hence it built up as a bad habit that I brought over to the university. It was then until the mock presentation, Prof Brad gave very constructive feedback about my use of Singlish that I don't even realize at all and that one recommendation for improvement that Prof told me was to talk to myself in front of the mirror, initially I thought that was stupid but I was very wrong. It definitely helped me to be prepared and watch out for grammar mistakes.

2. Project learning:

Project is one of the main components in this course, the toughest part of a project was to come out of ideas. With the teamwork and discipline of my group, we have gathered and brainstorm for ideas in a short period of time. I am very thankful to have such cooperative teammates all of them show seriousness and great professionalism in everything they do which gets things done easily and steadily. Moreover, our group is willing to accept any negative remarks and change which are beneficial for our improvement.

While writing a report for the project, it is not so simple by just copy and paste the link you found without a proper citation or reference. back then without any guidance and knowledge of citing the source, this makes the report unprofessional and inconvincible to the stakeholder. Luckily this course taught a lot of APA style and how to cite sources that improve significantly the quality of the report. This is one of the huge takeaways in this course.

3. Presentation showcase:

All of the groups that presented deserved a standing ovation. by being able to step out of their comfort zone to present in a broader size of the audience and they show great professionalism and confidence. There is one group that I would want to commend is Team Recyclable. the group shows great improvement compared to the class presentation. They show great confidence and presentation skills are top-notch.

Listening to all presenting teams, there is a lot to take away from them through this presentation such as how to engage with the audiences, how to counter difficult questions in a skillful manner and choice of words are very broad. However, there is a point that can be improved, instead of showing all slides, they can add in visual aids such a short clip on how their project works, but overall it is all good.

All in all, communication skills are the key to success in anything you do which is also essential in society. What is communication? To me, it is an art to express oneself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Formal letter assignment

"Employers identify communication as one of the basic competencies every graduate should have, asserting that the ability to communicate is valuable for obtaining employment and maintaining successful job performance" By: Sherwyn Morreale, Michael Osborn & Judy Pearson, Professors of Communication (2000)

CROSS ISLAND INVESTIGATION DRAFT 1